Wednesday 21 December 2016

Reading Texts (8)

William Shakespeare: Tragedies Vol.1 by Everyman’s Library
THIS IS A BORZOI BOOK PUBLISHED BY ALFRED A. KNOPF
King Lear Copyright © 1963 by Russell Fraser
Introduction Copyright © 1992 by Tony Tanner
Published in the United States by Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House Inc. New York, and Canada Limited, Toronto. 
Distributed by Random House Inc., New York.
I decided to read King Lear in the hopes that it would broaden my understanding of the Shakespeare canon, and that I would be able to relate the tragic elements of the two plays together. Unfortunately, while King Lear proves itself to be an engaging and thought-provoking read (and gives itself credence to Shepard’s thoughts; TTNK is not to the same standard as King Lear or Hamlet.) it is not as immediately relevant as I had hoped. While both shares themes of warfare, madness, chivalry and brotherly betrayal (the actions of Edmund conspiring against his half-brother Edgar a shallow echo of the romantic betrayal of Arcite to Palamon), there is not as solid a foundation as I could have hoped. For instance, I hoped to relate the relationships between fathers and daughters (and madness, to an extent) through Lear and Cordelia to the Jailer and his Daughter, but the scenes of Lear and Cordelia are briefer than I hoped. Hopefully with greater thought I will be able to relate them beyond these brief instances.

No comments:

Post a Comment