Friday 9 December 2016

Reading Texts (1)

Gerad NeCasto – Chaucer’s ‘The Knight’s Tale’ 
KTBRief – ‘The Knight’s Tale’ Abbreviated and re-spelled by Brother Antony
(No other details given)
I began reading these two versions of ‘The Knight’s Tale’ side-by-side as the beginnings of understanding the historical context to the play. Because of my current lack of information on the origins of both of these texts (other than the nebulous ‘internet’) I’m a little wary of their credibility; thusly, their usefulness to me is thrown into question. I do not currently have my copy (which is a modern translation) so will hopefully refer to that if I would need to make reference to the text within the essay.

Shakespeare’s Later Workmanship “The Winter’s Tale”
Arthur Quiller-Couch
The North American Review, Vol.203, No.726 (May, 1916)
pp.749-760
Published by: University of Northern Iowa
An excellent essay concerning one of Shakespeare’s late plays, and one that I unfortunately haven’t read; after reading this, I would quite like to. Quiller-Couch writes engagingly and gives ample examples and interpretations of both the text and the criticisms that sit around it, as well as relating it to its sibling texts. It isn’t immediately relevant to TTNK, but may hopefully prove as a firm reference in regards to comparing the plays.

Shakespeare’s Later Workmanship “Pericles” and “King Henry VIII”
Arthur Quiller-Couch
The North American Review, Vol.203, No.725 (April 1916)
pp.601-612
Published by: University of Northern Iowa
Another fascinating essay by Quiller-Couch that concerns two more of the late plays; he asserts throughout that both weren’t the full works of Shakespeare. This may prove interesting later (and more helpful if I read the plays) as TTNK has itself had conflicts over its authorship; it can be argued that they could have their own individual styles because of these collaborations. I’d like to look further into this once I have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment