Sunday 18 December 2016

Reading Texts (5)

Shakespeare and ‘The Two Noble Kisnmen’
Henry E. Shepard
Modern Language Notes, Vol.4 No.7 (November 1889) pp.213-214
Published by: The Johns Hopkins University press
An unfortunately brief but incredibly insightful perspective on what one of the opposing critics to TTNK’s authorship. He notes the similarity between the Jailer’s Daughter and Ophelia and Desdemona, something which I want to elaborate further on (within my means to, as we’re studying both these texts in English Lit and I’m aware that I can’t rely too heavily on them in the EPQ). Furthermore, he encapsulates an opinion which I’ve gathered (especially from Waith’s Introduction to my copy of the text) was quite common for critics to hold, that The Two Noble Kinsmen was too poor an example of Shakespeare’s works and that he had never “descended” below the excellence of the originals. I would like to research the editor, Rofle, for his interesting comment of the authorship being “Insoluble” – he may have an essay which would provide an interesting piece of evidence to consider.

The Chief Problem in Shakespeare
John S. P. Tatlock
The Sewanee Review, Vol.24, No.2 (April 1916) 
pp.129-147
Published by: The Johns Hopkins University Press
This was another text I read to ascertain an overall view of Shakespeare, rather than in relation to TTNK specifically. Tatlock discusses the nature of Trolius and Cressida and his interpretations of criticisms associated with the play, which overall paint it (as well as Timon of Athens, All’s Well That Ends Well, and Measure) as a play that is not highly regarded in critical circles. As another play finding its origins with Chaucer, this analysis has proven incredibly useful, although not entirely easy to reference within my own essay, I imagine. It has certainly raised a point of interest which, had I more time and resources, would like to explore with TTNK: were there plays written around the time that Shakespeare and Fletcher would have drawn inspiration? Again, Waith’s Introduction notes that there were two plays, lost to time, who followed The Knight’s Tale. 

Some Notes on Shakespeare
Robert Kilburn Root
The Journal of Germanic Philology, Vol. 4, N.4 (1902)
pp.452-459
Published by: University of Illnois Press
Robert Kilburn Root provides some notes on his unravelling on some of the obscure phrasings used in various Shakespeare plays. While delightfully interesting, it doesn’t offer me any direct help (that I can perceive in this moment) with predicament regarding TTNK. 

Anachronism in Shakespeare Criticism
Elmer Edgar Stoll
Modern Philology, Vol. 7, No.4, (April 1910)
pp.557-575
Published by: The University of Chicago Press
Stoll’s charged essay is, from my perspective at this moment, irrelevant to my essay. He lauds on the faults of criticism with little reference to the plays themselves in a useful manner. Therefore, while an engaging read, is not one I can use.

No comments:

Post a Comment