Wednesday 6 July 2016

Experimentation with Poetry Forms: Shakespearean Sonnet

Before I set out to write my first draft poems (which require the characters to be actualized for me to do so) I feel that experimenting with different forms first allows me to consider whether they'd make a fitting voice. 

The poem is from the perspective of Cassio from Othello, one of the Shakespeare plays we studied in our AS year. I settled on the text itself due to its familiarity to me, while the particular character was chosen due to how he's oftentimes cast aside by the interests of other writers; Iago is certainly one more interesting to decipher.



CASSIO'S SONNET

Must such dark, deathly discourse damn me so?
For the morbid morrow doth mark my mind;
Base, blighted, baneful, charnel-chosen woe
Of follied fools whose fateful judgements art blind.

Reputation! Reputation! ‘Tis lost
To the sentinel’s scorch’d hourglass, whose sands
Hast beguiled his brain with a false accost –
Wherefore devils didst counsel his commands.

O, hark! Wouldst his hapless, reckon’d resolve -
Spurned by Iago’s crude epithets –
Bring his beloved “strumpet’s” mire’d dispatch?
The devil dost dance in their silhouettes.

O, Cyprus is cursed. In her lord's bed,
Lay Dian-divine Desdemona, dead.


I'm quite happy with how the poem's turned out - I believe it adheres to the conventions of Shakespearean sonnets to the most part - although I feel that the iambic pentameter and 'beat' of the poem is slightly wonky compared to how I could've written it.

No comments:

Post a Comment