Saturday 30 July 2016

At the Conceptual Crossroads

As I previously established, I have an interest in writing a series of poems that build a narrative and reflect different character voices. However, I have found this a difficult task when trawling over half-finished notes, tattered papers, and frayed patience. When dealing with so many voices that struggle to build a cohesive narrative, it's difficult to know where to take the work and what to write about - none of these notes are finished, or a condition I would consider presentable. So, this leaves me at the conceptual crossroads: which path do I take to best suit my EPQ?

Firstly, I could continue with the different viewpoints and have a small collection of disconnected poems dealing with the subject of grief and losing someone, although this has already been a nightmare to plot and to conceptualize characters for.

Secondly, I could have the narrative told through just one character (perhaps a fictional poet?) whose story is told through the different poetry styles as she comes to terms with his/her grief. This makes it easier to build a protagonist and to 'plot' the poems and how they fit together, but removes the inter-connectivity between different characters.

Finally, I could keep these alternating character perspectives alive through the power of monologues, and could write a short theater piece that aligns with my original idea of having the dichotomy between living and dead. It allows easier communication with an audience, and is easier to ground in terms of plot - a series of reminisces and discussions can build towards a conclusion on grief, but massively disregards my previous work on the project, aside from my observance of memoirs and the like (which I need to record on here).

Overall, I'm currently stuck at the conceptual crossroads which is giving me a massive bout of writers' block, and an unwillingness to continue until I sort this out. Principally, I can imagine I'll use the second idea as it's the closest to my original research, although I still need to consider my options. I will continue with the MOOC and hope that I can cement my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment