Thursday 19 May 2016

Developing Ideas

While I still intend to dedicate a good amount of time towards looking at poetry forms, I still have to consider the subject these poems discuss. While there are a variety of ideas I can explore and develop, I've found that the most prominent ideas revolve around human emotions and mortality.


Idea One

A group of strangers have become trapped in a jammed elevator at a hospital, and begin to discuss the circumstances to how they all came to be here.

Idea Two

After the suicide of a teenage girl, the poem collection deals with the various perspectives and their reactions to her death, from identifying the body to years after her death, where her memory is kept alive to those she was beloved to.

Idea Three

A group of strangers are gathered in a waiting room which is the afterlife. They discuss how they died, how they lived, and their conflicting views on why the afterlife isn't how they imagined.

Idea Four

After a funeral, a family are gathered at the wake of a deceased love one and discuss those they've lost over the years. Then, reflected on the other side, the deceased family members are having a welcoming party for the recently deceased, and discuss those they've been forced to leave behind.



As of this moment, I feel that Idea Four is the one I'm most invested in, as it approaches the topics of death and grief, to which there is a wide variety of reactions. While Idea Two has a more coherent timeline, I feel that it is deeply constrained by one specific death, and wouldn't allow me the variety that I feel I would have with Idea Four. While I still need to develop details such as a characters, settings, allegories and suchlike, I feel it offers a solid base for me to become easily inspired by other events, and draw on my own experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment