Wednesday 18 May 2016

Comparision of Narrative Composition

Being that I'd like to compose a variety of poems from differing character perspectives, I feel that I should be observing different narrative-based poems. This would be the investigation from narrative epics to collections and compositions, as the disparity between them (and noting the similarities) should sufficiently inspire and interest me. Hopefully, this should help me develop my idea.


The first poem I liked at was Beowulf, which is arguably the most famous example of Anglo-Saxon poetry, written by an unknown poet. I looked at Seamus Heaney's translation as he is acclaimed for keeping the metre consistent and utilising fluently-interpreted kennings. However, while I still haven;t solidified my definite idea, I don't think I will indulge in the genre of epics, as Beowulf itself is tightly revolving around the titular character. However, while the idea of mythology being incorporated into the plot is one for consideration, I feel that perhaps it will need to be carefully handled as the vague ideas I have relate to interpersonal relationships and human emotion, rather than that of valour and honour.


Another poem which I feel is closest to what I want to create is The Canterbury Tales, by Geoffrey Chaucer, whose carefully-crafted work deals with the different stories of the pilgrims on their travels to Canterbury. Not only does it utilise the differing thoughts and feelings of these characters (which the narrator occasionally sets the scene and suchlike) but features different poetry forms - I intend to have this in my EPQ. Therefore, despite there being other texts that have inspired me (which will be discussed below), I feel that The Canterbury Tales' core structure is one I'd like to adopt.


Furthermore, I feel that I can take inspiration from Dante Alighieri's Inferno, which acts as an allegory and tells of Dante's journey through Biblical Hell. The epic poem is one of the greatest-known in Italian literature and has had a massive impact on the popular culture representations of Hell, alongside John Milton's Paradise Lost, whose evocative scenes described in blank verse chart Satan's tragic fall from Heaven, and his conspiring against God in the bowels of the brimstone Hell. Both deal with figures of Biblical scripture and tell them in the form of epic poetry, although perhaps deal with subjects so grandiose and magnificent that perhaps, unless I too use allegory, do not conform to the simple Human form.


While his poetry form was referenced in my "Detour to Poetry Forms", I think that Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queene, even if by its form alone, I feel could be an inspiration to my EPQ. Its allegorical elements, coupled with its closeness to its characters (who vary depending on the theme of the book they are within) make for an interesting point of reference, although I don't think it entirely fits.


Overall, I feel that The Canterbury Tales, as referenced above, has the most useful structure that can be adapted to my ideas, which I feel also need discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment